Wednesday, February 21, 2007


Road Trip

Arizona is breathtakingly beautiful and so different from the landscapes I see back east. Yesterday Carrie and I set out on our road trip to the Grand Canyon and we are still making our way there. Mapquest can truly stink sometimes. The route they gave me took us 3 hours out of the way to the 1 horse town of Meadview, AZ. If you look it up you will find it is a speck of a town on the far western rim of the Grand Canyon and pretty much in an Indian reservation...oops. We talked and laughed the whole way there though. We finally realized how lost we were when the town we wound up in had no stores or hotels, not a tourist trap in sight! What is it about me that craves the comfort of a Holiday Inn? Corporate America feels safe to me. I was looking for the tourist trap. What can I say? I wanted the guard rails and souvie shops. So we bought a map and called Ryan on the cel phone to get him to be our navigator. We trekked our way back to the highway and took some beautiful pictures of the sunset. We were lost but having a blast and I wouldn't trade the conversations we had in that car and the laughs we shared for the world.




Once on the road again we made the first stop we could for gas and what did we see in the distance? A Chili's! Bonus... civilization. We ate and refueled and were on our way again. Two hours of Elk crossing signs and highway curves later we arrived at Flagstaff. That's more like it. Here we are at the Fairfield Inn...ahh sweet sweet Mariott...and to the South Rim in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

JAJjourneyahead said...

hey kell...sounds like you are having fun! please send me your email address again. be safe...love j

bjf said...

Kelly,
Too bad you don't have time to come down to Tucson. The desert is incredible here and you are in a city (civilization)!
Have fun!!
Bette